Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Racing With Dad featuring Quick Quotes Navigator collection


Hello, Neva here to share with you a jam-packed layout featuring the Navigator paper collection from Quick Quotes.  There were many photos to include in this double page spread, along with an important story about my son’s experiences.


The cardstock weight phrases translated nicely into classic embellishments to complete the page.  Here are a few detail photos.  The sailboat was trimmed from a larger phrase.



I knew ahead of time that the journaling would be rather long, and wanted to plan for ample room to include the important details.  With that in mind I trimmed Navigator 101 to 7 ¾” knowing that it would fit into my printer at that dimension.  The accent of Navigator 100 is ¾” wide, and one sheet of Navigator 104 is used between both sides of the layout and is trimmed to 4 ½” for the left side.



The right-side dimensions are the remainder of Navigator 104 at 7 1/2 ”, Navigator 100 at ¾”, and Navigator 101 at 5”.  All of these dimensions add up to more than 12” but allow for the use of a strong adhesive to hold the page together.



I had the perfect stencil in my stash to use with Tropical Punch to add a pop of color in the lower left corner.  Painter’s tape is my go to removable tape to hold the stencil in place.  An ink dauber is handy to ink through the stencil.



Next I planned my journaling, as I mentioned before it was a long story with a bit of national attention for the event.  In a Word document, I created two text boxes for the two columns of journaling.  It is easier to read and adds symmetry to the design.



I typed my journaling in the box and used the justify text tool to line up the text in the boxes.  Taking measurements from my layout page I determined I needed to be 3 ¾” from the top of the page for the journaling to fit in the spot designated for it and to not overlap the compass rose image.  



I printed the test sheet and used the light-box window method to determine whether I needed to adjust the text boxes.  The reverse side of the paper also shows through as well as the supports in my window!



The banners from the cardstock weight phrases were trimmed and inked with Tropical Punch.  I punched two holes in each with a paper piercer. The Sail with Me phrase  and the small sailboat trimmed from another phrase are also inked with Tropical Punch.  



The easiest method to string bakers twine through the holes is to use a floss threader.  It works like a needle but does not enlarge the hole.  After adjusting the bakers twine I tied knots in each end.





My favorite way to die cut titles is to send a strip Navigator 100 through a Xyron 1.5 X and put the adhesive on the letters first.  Then they are adhered to the layout.  



To finish the photos, I edged them in Deep Sea rather than backing each photo with paper.  It helps to pop them off the page.  The Right and left sides are adhered together and the photos are adhered in place.  The embellishments are adhered with thin dimensional foam adhesive and the sail boat brads are added for the final touch.  

Navigator Cardstock Weight Phrases
Powderpuff Chalk Inks:  Tropical Punch,  Deep Sea

Other Products
Compass Ross stencil M043 by Stencil Girl
Sailboat brads by Eyelet Outlet
Bakers twine from my stash
Xtreme adhesive by Tombow
Dimensional foam adhesive from my stach
Lemon Drop alpha die by LifeStyle Crafts
Xyron X 1.5
Ink Dauber by Tsukineko



1 comment:

  1. What a cool and inspiring post...loved the way you made the banner and Thank you for the tip on threading
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make me smile to know you enjoy my creativity! Thank you!